When it comes to our overall well-being, it is crucial to maintain good oral health. Having said that, tooth loss can occur due to a variety of reasons such as decay, injury, or periodontal disease. Speaking of this, dental implants have revolutionized the field of dentistry by offering a long-term solution for replacing missing teeth. The process of getting dental implants back then was quite complex. It involved multiple visits and an extended healing period. However, thanks to advancements in technology and innovations in techniques, same day dental implants have emerged as a convenient and efficient alternative. In this blog post, we will explore the world of same day dental implants, addressing common questions surrounding it.
How Do Same Day Dental Implants Work?
Same day dental implants, also widely known as immediate dental implants or teeth-in-a-day, enable patients to receive new teeth on the same day as the implant placement surgery. The process comprises careful placement of a dental implant directly into the jawbone. Subsequently, a temporary crown or bridge is attached. This restores both function and aesthetics in just one visit.
Can you get the implant on the same day?
Well, the answer is yes! It is very much possible to do dental implants on the same day in certain cases. Candidates for same day dental implants are carefully examined based on a number of factors. This includes overall oral health, bone density in addition to implant stability. It is pertinent to mention that not everyone is eligible for immediate implant placement, and it is the specific dental needs that sets the next course of action when it comes to designing the most appropriate treatment plan.
What is the Success Rate of Immediate Dental Implants?
To put it simply, immediate dental implants come with a high rate of success. Success depends on several factors. This includes proper case selection, sufficient bone support, and of course, impeccable surgical techniques
On another note, as with any surgical procedure, there are also risks associated with these. These risks may include infection, implant failure or nerve damage. However, if you have selected the right dental implant specialist then the likelihood of complications can be minimized. Hence, make sure you have done your research before finalizing one.
What is the Immediate Implant Process?
The immediate implant process is multi-staged:
- a) Initial Assessment: Your dentist will conduct a comprehensive consultation session. This will include dental x-rays in order to assess the health of your teeth and gums, not to mention the bone density and volume in the implant area.
- b) Extraction (if necessary): If the need arises, the tooth may be removed during the same appointment as the implant placement.
- c) Implant Placement: At the area of the missing tooth, a titanium implant post is surgically placed into the jawbone under local anesthesia.
- d) Temporary Restoration: Some cases call for a temporary crown or bridge to be attached to the implant on the same day. This provides immediate aesthetics as well as function.
- e) Healing and Final Restoration: Over the next few months, the implant fuses with the jawbone in a process called osseointegration. Once it is healed, a permanent crown or bridge is placed on to the implant, thereby completing the restoration.
How Much Do Same Day Implants Cost?
Depending on several factors, the cost can vary. The factors include the number of implants needed, the complexity level of the case, the materials used, and the geographic location. If we compare same day implants with the traditional ones, the former may have a slightly higher upfront. This is all because of the convenience and expedited treatment time. However, keeping in mind the amount of time saved and the improved quality of life, many patients find this investment worthwhile.
All in all, same day dental implants by far is a remarkable solution for individuals seeking efficient and immediate tooth replacement. Considering the fact that it restores function and aesthetics in a single day, this procedure has managed to become a popular choice for many patients around the world. If you’re someone who is considering dental implants, we strongly recommend consulting with a qualified dental professional. They can assess your suitability for same day implants and guide you throughout the entire procedure. Resultantly, you are set for a confident and beautiful smile for life.